We post a lot about the many benefits of acupuncture, massage and holistic health treatments through our clinic. But there are few things to avoid before, during, or after your treatment, lest you ruin the many wonderful effects of the treatment! We do NOT recommend the following:
1. Drink caffeine. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and tightens the muscles and tendons. In fact, it is recommended to avoid caffeine if you are experiencing any kind of chronic tendinitis. It's also a diuretic and well, who wants to be needing the washroom during your treatment? Avoiding caffeine also helps you achieve a deeper state of relaxation instead of being wired off your last jolt.
2. Rushing to and from your treatment. Book a time that works for you to enjoy coming to and from your treatment. Rushing in elevates adrenaline levels and tightens your soft tissue. And it doesn't help you to relax if you have to rush out the door exactly on time for your next item on your to-do list. Try to carry the state of calm from your treatment as long as you can once you leave our doors!
3. Leave your cell phone on - even on vibrate. Nothing can be more distracting during a treatment than wondering who is phoning you and whether you do actually need to answer it. Take this precious time for you and enjoy the peace and calm.
4. Leave your jewellery on. While your practitioner can work around it, we encourage you to take it off and keep it safe next to your clothes. Not only can it be distracting to consistently move it out of the way so that your practitioner can access the soft tissue area, but your jewellery may get greasy from the massage lotion used.
5. Eat fast food or be dehydrated. It's never a good time to eat salty, fat-laden fast food but it is particularly so prior to lying down on our practitioners' tables. You'll feel lethargic, bloated and uncomfortable. It is also causes dehydration, which is already an effect from receiving a massage. This means you will be even that much more dehydrated, causing symptoms such as muscle cramping, headaches, dizziness, and weakness. When the body is fully hydrated, the blood is thinner, and moves more efficiently. It cleans out the muscle tissue and brings in the much needed nutrients; muscle fibers separate and are less "sticky", fuller from hydration and perform to their highest ability. Hydration helps achieve greater soft tissue performance. Your body will thank you for it!